Supporting children to stay within their own family groups can be a very important skill in terms of supporting and stabilising a child who has been moved into the care system. This comes with a wide range of issues with a large family group, particularly around the skills needed to work with the older children who may have themselves taken on a caring role. This course is aimed at upskilling you with an awareness of this.
- To understand the importance of siblings
- To understand sibling relationships in abusive or neglectful families
- To be aware of the benefits of placing siblings together
- To be aware of the barriers to placing siblings together
- To know the practices for keeping siblings together in placement
- To know what to do when siblings cannot live in the same home
- To know how to maintain ties between separated siblings
- To recognise sibling issues within care
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers.