Preventing / Managing Foster Care Placement Breakdown
This course will enable workers to understand how a foster care placement breakdown can happen and look at the various stages and impact on all parties. This awareness will enable workers to be more proficient at managing their own emotional state, as well as supporting the child more successfully.
We will also examine why the child may sabotage the placement, and how we can change our practice to a safe base model in order to re-engage with the child and stabilise the placement.
- Understand the common causes of placement breakdown
- Recognise the underlying triggers within both parties that can lead to a placement breaking down
- Identify the events and behaviours that can make placement breakdown more likely
- Identify actions that can be taken to minimise the chances of a placement breaking down
- Identify by action planning support needs and networks in the event of a placement breakdown
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.