Physical and Learning Disabilities: live training for Foster Carers & Social Workers
This course outlines two key models of disability – The ‘Traditional Medical’ Model and the ‘Social’ Model – and highlights how the experiences of disabled people are affected by which model the non-disabled world adopts. There has been much debate about these models over the past 30 years or so, which is not represented here. This course offers a brief and simple overview to prompt discussion and reflection, and to encourage further exploration of the impact of models of disability.
- To understand the social model of disability
- To understand the inclusive needs of young people
- To support a vulnerable young person and the various different ways their needs may present themselves
- To understand how discrimination may affect these groups
- To explore strategies as to how to support young people in your care to reach their full potential
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.