This course will provide an understanding of the complex issues involved in preparing a looked after child for leaving care. We cover how to provide the practical skills that will assist with independence. We explore the challenges that this ‘transition to adulthood’ brings and look at how young people can be assisted to understand and develop resilience to deal with this life change.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to understand relevant legislation affecting care leavers and consider the key issues that arise during the preparation for leaving care.
- Recognise and understand the additional support needs for Looked After Children and Care Leavers to enable you to work sensitively with adolescents
- Discuss the issues for young people as they face transitions and how to support young people through these transitions
- Identify ways to help young people think ahead and make sure they have a clear idea about what to expect, in terms of budgeting and finance
- Demonstrate how to support young people to develop confidence and motivation as they move towards independence
- Describe the range of skills young people need to develop in preparation for leaving care/ adulthood and of their role in supporting skills development (social, practical and emotional)
- Explain how to support young people to reach their potential in terms of education, training and employment