SEND Awareness Special Educational Needs & Disability Course: live training for Foster Carers & Social Workers
In September 2014 the Children and Families Act 2014 came into force. A new SEND Code of Practice covers children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities from birth to age 25. This has particular relevance to looked after children in terms of the responsibilities of care agencies and foster families.
- To understand the Local Authority’s duty under 22 (3A) of The Children’s Act 1989 to promote the educational achievements of Looked after Children
- To understand the new system supporting children and young people with SEN or Disability (SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years)
- To understand the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) needs assessments
- Know the best ways to support ‘Eligible children’ through education and training, as well as encouraging further education or higher education
- To understand the use of bursaries
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.