Therapeutic care is a placement where a child or young person has undergone significant neglect or trauma and would benefit greatly from therapeutic care. This type of care provides a child with a supportive foundation where they can build a trusting relationship with foster carers whilst they receive therapy to help them to overcome a traumatic experience or period in their lives.
Skills in Therapeutic Care are needed for carers to support their children through the stages of recovery from trauma. You can read more about this HERE
- To understand what constitutes therapeutic care and how to establish a therapeutic relationship
- To provide an introduction to the Secure Base model
- To consider ways of applying the model to practice
- To explore the five dimensions of the Secure Base Model
- To understand how to facilitate healthy attachment
- To identify how carers can help children with attachment difficulties by developing self-awareness and coping strategies