Facilitating contact with members of a child’s Birth Family can be one of the most challenging parts of a carer’s role. This course looks at the benefits of contact along with the challenges it presents. Crucially, we prepare carers for the range of problems it can present for them and the child, and look at strategies for managing these. We explore how to continually assess the impact of contact on the child, as this will change as they develop.
- To look at the aims of contact for looked-after children
- To explore how carers can develop skills in relation to contact
- To provide a safe space to discuss experiences and in order to problem solve and support others
- To enable carers to build effective strategies for dealing with contact difficulties
- To address contact within an anti-discriminatory framework
Is this course for me?
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Level: beginner / intermediate This course can be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]