Some looked after children and young people may not make the educational progress expected of them as appropriate for their age and school key stage. This is where the therapeutic relationship that foster carers can offer comes into it’s own. This training is aimed specifically at supporting carers to facilitate effective learning.
In September 2014, the Children and Families Act 2014 came into force. A new SEND Code of Practice covers children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities from birth to age 25. This has particular relevance to looked after children in terms of responsibilities of care agencies and foster families.
- To develop an understanding of the academic expectations at each Key Stage.
- To develop skills in supporting children and young people in homework and revision.
- To develop an understanding of the Local Authority’s duty under 22 (3A) of The Children’s Act 1989 to promote the educational achievements of Looked after Children.
- To develop an understanding of the new system supporting Children and young people with SEN or Disability (SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years).
- To develop an understanding of Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) needs assessments.
- To develop an understanding of Personal Educational Plans (PEP) and using them to support personalized learning of the child.
- Supporting ‘Eligible children’ through education and training and encouraging further education or higher education.
- To develop an understanding of the use of Bursary.
- To develop skills in supporting children through exclusions, expulsions and appeals.
- To develop the skills to act as an advocate for children in placement.
Is this course for me?
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Level: beginner / intermediate This course can be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
This course could be combined with a Virtual School for LAC course – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]