This course will provide an understanding of the complex issues involved in preparing a looked after child for leaving care. We cover how to provide the practical skills that will assist with independence. We explore the challenges that this ‘transition to adulthood’ brings and look at how young people can be assisted to understand and develop resilience to deal with this life change.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to understand relevant legislation affecting care leavers and consider the key issues that arise during the preparation for leaving care.
- Be familiar with the legislation and policy framework for young people leaving care
- Understand the role of personal advisors / support workers from the leaving care team
- Know how to contribute to the pathway planning process
- Understand the breadth of emotional and developmental issues for young people leaving care
- Be able to support the young person to develop strategies to build their independence
- Know practical tools and techniques to ensure that children are fully prepared for living independently
Is this course for me?
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Level: beginner / intermediate This course can be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]