In September 2014 the Children and Families Act 2014 came into force. A new SEND Code of Practice covers children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities from birth to age 25. This has particular relevance to looked after children in terms of responsibilities of care agencies and foster families.
- To understand the Local Authority’s duty under 22 (3A) of The Children’s Act 1989 to promote the educational achievements of Looked after Children
- To understand the new system supporting Children and young people with SEN or Disability (SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years)
- To understand the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) needs assessments
- Understand Personal Educational Plans (PEP) and be able to use them to support the child’s personalised learning
- Know the best ways to support ‘Eligible children’ through education and training, as well as encouraging further education or higher education
- To understand the of use of Bursaries
Is this course for me?
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Also relevant for youth workers, education professionals and those in the community voluntary sectors.
Level: beginner / intermediate This course can be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]