Therapeutic Care – training for foster carers
What is Therapeutic Care?
We agree with this excellent definition from CASPA:
* Is achieved through positive, safe, healing relationships and experiences, informed by a sound understanding of trauma, disrupted attachment and individual developmental needs.
* Is designed to facilitate recovery from the impacts of physical, psychological and emotional trauma resulting from experiences of harm or risk of harm. It views early adverse experiences in a developmentally sensitive way based on current knowledge of the neurobiological effects of trauma.
* Focuses on supporting children and young people to feel safe and to encourage a shift from a state of maladaptive survival responses and withdrawal, to a place of healthy adaptation and engagement. This involves the development of skills such as distress tolerance, emotional regulation, capacity to trust and integration within the community.”
Learning Outcomes for the Therapeutic Care Course:
- Understand what constitutes therapeutic care
- How to establish a therapeutic relationship
- Understand the antecedents of negative behaviours in young people
- Acknowledging where the behaviours come from
- Know how to support choice and consequences for young people
Is this Therapeutic Care course for me?
This face-to-face 4 hour course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services. It is also relevant for youth workers, education professionals and those in the community and voluntary sectors.
Level: beginner / intermediate. This course can also be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
You may also be interested in our full Therapeutic Fostering Program
This suite of blended learning equips carers with all the knowledge and skills needed to support children through the 3 stages of recovery – you can read more HERE, or contact Tori on firstname.lastname@example.org to see how it can be tailored to your teams.