Supporting individuals who identify as Trans and understanding the complexities of gender identity can be confusing for professionals and carers. This course will explain and explore issues around gender, identity and sexual orientation and provide attendees with a thorough understanding of the needs of Trans clients.
The training also explores how to support young people with their gender identity, processes for transitioning and overcoming some of the barriers to acceptance and challenging Transphobia in communities.
- An awareness of gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation
- The ability to engage more effectively with transgender people and children / young people using appropriate language
- To have an increased understanding around Trans identities and to establish safe environments for everyone
- To be able to understand and tackle forms of bullying that relate to diverse gender expressions and sexual orientation
- Understanding of LGBT Health: Disease transmission and progression, mental & physical wellbeing
- Awareness of challenges around access to physical environment: schools, recreational facilities, health services, housing, etc.
Is this course for me?
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Also relevant for youth workers, education professionals and those in the community voluntary sectors.
Level: beginner / intermediate This course can be adapted to advanced level for skilled practitioners.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]