Understanding Attachment Training UK
This Understanding Attachment Training is mandatory for all Foster Carers in the UK.
What is Attachment?
Attachment is a deep and enduring emotional bond that connects one person to another across time and space. This emotional bond between infant and caregiver is the means by which the helpless infant gets their primary needs met. The attachment experience affects personality development and the ability to form stable relationships throughout life. The early experience of the infant stimulates the growth of the brain and shapes emerging mental processes. Neuroscientists believe that attachment is of such a primal importance that the brain has networks of neurons dedicated to setting it in motion.
Positive attachment provides the infant’s first coping system, which becomes a foundation for all the others. Healthy attachment nurtures the child’s ability to eventually separate from the caregiver and survive independently.
Learning Outcomes of the Understanding Attachment Training (uk):
- Have gained knowledge of the concept of attachment and related theory
- Have considered the impact of attachment on the infant brain and overall development
- Be aware of the different patterns of attachment developed with primary carers and the short and long term implications of these for the child
- Have learnt techniques for facilitating children’s positive attachment to carers
- Have considered how poor attachments may influence behaviour and how carers may need to adapt parenting styles accordingly
- Reflect on the significance of diversity, difference and identity when considering attachment
Is this understanding attachment training course for me?
Attendance on this course is MANDATORY for foster carers. An update/refresher is required every 3 years.
This course is for foster carers, adopters and Supervising Social Workers. In addition, this course is for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Also relevant for youth workers, education professionals and those in the community and voluntary sectors.
Level: beginner / intermediate
This course can also be adapted to an advance level for skilled practitioners.
[mk_button dimension=”flat” size=”xx-large” url=”/request-training/” align=”center” margin_top=”20″]Request Training[/mk_button]