This course is ideal for experienced workers who are confident with the key drugs and want to enhance their knowledge and skills further.
The course makes the subject of neuropharmacology accessible for workers and enables them to understand the key terms involved.
We will explore the main neurotransmitters and the impact of substances on these brain chemicals.
This course ensures that participants are able to:
- List and describe the function of key neurotransmitters.
- Describe the effects of key drugs on brain chemistry.
- Have a better understanding of the impact of substance use on brain chemistry during use and withdrawal.
- Relate the neuropharmacology back to the client’s mood and behaviour.
- Understand the limitations of neuropharmacology for drugs workers.
- Present key facts about brain chemistry to a range of audiences.
- Educate clients about brain chemistry.
Format: Taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, whole group discussion
Hand-outs: Full hand-outs and sources of further information will be provided