The use of benzodiazepines, especially the non-prescribed use of diazepam, is a growing concern. Users from a wide range of backgrounds are presenting to drugs services with substantial benzo habits, to which workers often feel ill equipped to respond.
During our course we will share factual information about benzodiazepines and explore strategies to educate and prevent harm.
This course ensures that participants are able to:
- List the key benzodiazepines used in the UK.
- Summarise key effects of benzodiazepines.
- Explain key reasons for benzo use in different populations.
- List the key risks of benzodiazepine use.
- Describe harm reduction interventions applicable to benzo use.
- Explain how tolerance and dependency on benzo’s develops.
- Describe interventions to assist benzo-dependent clients through withdrawal.
Format: Taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, whole group discussion
Hand-outs: Full hand-outs and sources of further information will be provided