Within social care work we need to be able to deal effectively and professionally with people who are difficult, aggressive and potentially violent. This course covers the basic considerations and skills required to handle such situations confidently and safely.
This course ensures that participants are able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication that shows respect and reduces abusive or aggressive behaviour.
- Recognise and know how to appropriately deal with triggers to abusive or aggressive behaviour.
- Know how to protect the individual, self and others and defuse the situation.
- Understand the importance of constructively reviewing incidents of abusive/aggressive behaviour by all involved including managing ones own feelings and behaviour.
- Understand the importance of reporting and recording information in regard to abusive or aggressive behaviour and individuals who are at risk from abuse, and who may be at risk of danger due to their substance use.
Format: Taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, whole group discussion
Hand-outs: Full hand-outs and sources of further information will be provided