Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based approach with over 200 controlled trials to support its effectiveness. It aims to guide clients in the process of changing many types of unhealthy behaviour and lifestyle choices.
This new two-day course provides an inspiring and practical introduction to the theory and application of MI, which can be adapted to address many different types of unhealthy behaviour.
This practical course aims to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and tools required to effectively apply MI in their work practice, thus enabling them to better support and empower clients to make positive behavioural change.
This course ensures that participants are able to:
- Understand the foundations and basic principles of MI
- Reflect on their own issues regarding change and resistance to change
- Apply basic MI skills and techniques in their work practice
- Identify the benefits and potential applications of MI in the context of their work practice
- Develop greater confidence and self-awareness
Format: Taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, whole group discussion
Hand-outs: Full hand-outs and sources of further information will be provided