Over the past couple of years the range of new compounds being used in the UK has expanded significantly. The Internet has fuelled the emergence of a range of new compounds, some of which were rapidly added to the list of controlled drugs, and others which remain illegal.
It has become increasingly difficult for workers to keep up to date with new compounds. This course is intended to bring workers up to speed and to provide a framework for their own continued learning.
This course ensures that participants are able to:
- List key new compounds being used in the UK.
- Locate key new compounds within a categorisation framework.
- Explain the pharmacological action of key types of compounds.
- Describe harm reduction interventions applicable to new compounds.
- List key sources of information for new and emergent compounds.
- Recount key legal issues for emergent drugs.
- Reflect on the issues of legal highs and the worker’s role in responding to the use of legal highs.
Format: Taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, whole group discussion
Hand-outs: Full hand-outs and sources of further information will be provided