Communication with Children with Complex Needs: Live training for Foster Carers & Social Workers
This course is aimed at supporting children who may also have additional needs, whether emotional, psychological or physical. A crucial element of effective communication is to understand the stage of development and needs of the child or young person.
- Understand the effects of trauma
- Learning how to respond and not react to promote recovery
- Learning to address the effects of trauma including hyper-vigilance, disassociation, anger, low self-esteem through communication.
- Roleplay as an effective way to respond
- Explore any individual scenarios and find new ways to respond together
- Learning and being aware of the triggers that might take them back to past traumas
- Ways we can communicate to de-escalate
- Learning the importance of attunement
- Using positive methods such as reframing
- Communicating with other professionals/birth family
- Introduce some key books for further knowledge
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.