This course empowers carers with a greater understanding and acceptance of young people in their care who may identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. We aim to support carers to become aware of their own possible prejudices and thereby increasing their efforts in proficient care.
- An awareness of gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation
- The ability to engage more effectively with transgender people and children / young people using appropriate language
- To have an increased understanding of Trans identities and to establish safe environments for everyone
- To be able to understand and tackle forms of bullying that relate to diverse gender expressions and sexual orientation
- Understanding of LGBTIQA+ Health: Disease transmission and progression, mental & physical wellbeing
- Awareness of challenges around access to the physical environment: schools, recreational facilities, health services, housing, etc
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Format: This is a live training session through the platform "Zoom". It includes taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, and whole group discussions.
Hand-outs & Certificates: Downloadable course notes and certificates of attendance are provided.