Contact with Birth Families Training
Facilitating contact with members of a child’s Birth Family can be one of the most challenging parts of the carer’s role. This course looks at the benefits of contact along with the challenges it presents. Crucially, we prepare carers for the range of problems it can present for them and the child, and look at strategies for managing these. We explore how to assess the impact of contact on the child, as this will change as they develop.
The primary aims of the course are:
- To look at the aims of contact for looked-after children
- To explore how carers can develop skills in relation to contact
- To provide a safe space to discuss experiences and in order to problem solve and support others
- To enable carers to build effective strategies for dealing with contact difficulties
- To address contact within an anti-discriminatory framework
Format: This is a live training session through the platform "Zoom". It includes taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, and whole group discussions.
Hand-outs & Certificates: Downloadable course notes and certificates of attendance are provided.