Supporting Children across the Autistic Spectrum, including Anxiety & Sexuality
This comprehensive course is designed explicitly for caregivers caring for children or young individuals diagnosed with Autism. It aims to equip the participants with an in-depth understanding of Autism and its effects on children and young individuals.
The program empowers participants to tackle vital topics such as boundaries, sexual health, puberty, hygiene, and other challenges caregivers face. Our ultimate goal is to boost the confidence and competence of participants in conveying important messages about managing sexual feelings and maintaining healthy relationships. Furthermore, the course includes basic techniques for effective interventions to provide supportive care. Join us to become an expert caregiver and provide the best possible care for individuals with Autism.
- Understand the term' Autistic Spectrum Disorder (Condition).'
- Have more of an awareness of the challenges associated with ASD and the triad of impairments.
- Have a better understanding of triggers and behaviours.
- "Think and speak autistically" (Lawson)
- To explore ways to assist children and young people with Autistic Spectrum conditions in improving their confidence, self-worth and self-esteem.
- Gain an awareness of social and cultural perceptions of the Autistic Spectrum Condition.
- Explore why anxiety is so prevalent for those with ASC.
- Share ideas for releasing stress in ASC.
- Define sexuality
- Explore common myths
- Look at challenges in conversations about sexual health.
- Become familiar with critical research.
- Consider possible risks both to the young person and the wider community.
- Identify issues in sex education.
- Explore the balance of compensating vs overcompensating.
- look at how modern technologies are supporting those with ASC.
- Understand the importance of self-care and how to do this.
This course is for Foster Carers and Adopters as well as their Supervising Social Workers. It is also suitable for Residential Child Care Workers (RCCW) and residential team managers from mainstream, short-breaks and outreach services.
Format: This is a live training session through the platform "Zoom". It includes taught sections, small group work, work in pairs, and whole group discussions.
Hand-outs & Certificates: Downloadable course notes and certificates of attendance are provided.